looking for help upgrading from older thermostat to newer

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

looking for help upgrading from older thermostat to newer

Postby msmithsr » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

Hi all, i'm looking to change out my old Intertherm thermostat to a hunter mdl 40135. the issue im having is there are more wires hooke up on the older one than the hunter will hold here is the existing wires/connection i have to work -

X-black wire
W2-white wire
R-red wire
G-green wire
O-blue wire
Y-yellow wire
E-greyish or maybe even tan

the connection on the new hunter -
Rc-cooling power supply
Rh-heating power supply
Y-cooling output
G-fan
W-heating output

the hunter does not have aux heat.
basically can anyone tell me how to hook the extra wires i have to the hunter unit. for instance can the "Y" and "O" be combined to go into the "Y" on the hunter and such. thanks in advance for any info you could give.
msmithsr
New Contributor

- looking for help upgrading from older thermostat to newe

Postby heatseeker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Take the Hunter t-stat put it back in the box and take it back to Home Depot. Call a reputable HVAC contractor and buy a REAL t-stat that will be reliable and that way it will have a warranty and you wont break your ac system at the same time.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Edward » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 pm

It appears the thermostat you bought is not compatible with the system you have. Are you running a heatpump system?
Edward
Regular Contributor

Postby msmithsr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 am

yes sadly i do have a heat pump and i cant take the tstat back because i bought it last fall. if i could hook it up with no heat that would work for me as we have fireplaces and never use the heat in the winter. so im guessing i did buy the wrong 1 for my needs. with that said can anyone recomend a tstat that will work for my system that i can buy at lowes (only hardware store within 20 miles of me) that is inexpensive as i cant afford the $50+ 1's. thank again Mark
msmithsr
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:15 am

Go on ebay and buy a used one.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Edward » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Well, you can hook it up to work for cooling only. Hook your red wire to the rc terminal, remove the jumper between Rc and Rh, (if there is one), hook the green wire to G, and the yellow wire to Y. Leave the other wires unhooked and taped individually. The leftovers wires were for the 24 volts common (your new one must have batteries), auxillary heat, and the reversing valve used in the heat section of your system. Hopefully this works for you, Its kind of a shame you don't use the heat side. Make sure you turn the power off to your unit before wiring it. Good luck.
Edward
Regular Contributor

Postby mr151 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 am

hey Mark just so u know dont be sorry for the system u have cause its a high end system, just because its a heat pump system. however with that comes higher levels of problem solving. that being said in my exp. there is no t-stat available in the $50.00 range that is compatible w/a heat pump sys. period. so what ever u have from last fall is a wash my recc. is as "H.S." said is call a tech ,or go on line type in ur model#'s and see what comes up. ...question why are u changing ur t-stat anyway?
mr151
Most Valued Contributor

Postby msmithsr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:19 am

the biggest reason im wanting to change it out is i know it's more that 20 yrs old. we bought this trailer 2 years agoand then last summer i started noticing it would be hot in the house with the air running. walk over to a vent and it would blow room temp air and the compressor wouldn't be running. i had a guy come out and check the system out and he said the connector was bad and changed it out. but that didnt fix the problem of the compressor on for 5 min out of every 3 hrs so i had him come back out. he then told me the t-stat was prolly bad and wanted to charge $200 for install a new 1. while i my not be a hvac guy i did hold a GC license for almost 20 yrs an now hold degree's in comp programming and figured i could change it out my self ive done it before but they were newer 4 wire systems. this 1 i have is a totally different animal to me. so basically im just going to have to wait a month or so till i can afford the correct one and take care of it then. good thing its still open window and fans weather here for now )). thank for all your help guys. Mark
msmithsr
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:14 am

That quote for the 200 dollar t-stat probably included a service call fee which was probably 80 dollars making your t-stat 120 dollars. quit being cheap. You could have had the who0le problem solved but instead you couldn't part with a couple hundred bucks now your fishing on the internet for free advice. Good luck.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 pm

You can connect it as has been suggested HOWEVER, you need to verify that for your heat pump the changeover valve (switches between heating and cooling) is in the AC (cooling) position when unenergized. Check the heat pump manual to be sure.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum