suction line connection

Problems related to residential installations.

suction line connection

Postby hermandd » Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 am

My new AC unit has a 3/4" suction line connection with a swaged, (female), end. I need to use a 7/8" line because it is specified for lengths over 24 feet. A copper 7/8 to 3/4 reducer is female at both ends. I would need a reducer that is 7/8 female to 3/4 male which does not exist. I have checked with HVAC/plumbing supply and refrigeration supply companies and they all tell me that it does not exist. I thought of using a short piece of 3/4" tubing to connect the female end at the AC unit to the female end of the reducer but the shortest length of 3/4" tubing available is 10 feet which would be expensive. What is the best way to make the connection?
hermandd
Minimal

- suction line connection

Postby Freon » Wed May 02, 2012 11:40 am

Try playing with couplings. Maybe a 5/8" will fit inside the service valve (3/4"od). Then a 3/4" coupling may slip over the 5/8 and the 7/8 tubing slip over the 3/4 coupling. Be sure to wrap the valve with a wet rag. I'd do the braising at the valve after all the other connections have been made.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- suction line connection

Postby heatseeker » Wed May 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Dude do like 90 percent of techs do and just squeeze it down around the fitting. On the other hand stop trying to install your own AC before you hurt someone. Call an EPA certified technician . Pay now or pay later.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential