Goodman CPLE24-1C a/c tripping breaker

Problems related to residential installations.

Goodman CPLE24-1C a/c tripping breaker

Postby BraDolMag1 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:37 am

Hello all,

As it is starting to warm up we started to run our A/C and noticed it wasn't cooling the house. The fan was blowing so I went down and checked the breaker and sure enough the two 30amp breakers for the A/C were tripped. I flipped it and it held for a second and tripped again. Multiple attempts resulted in the same outcome, it would trip within seconds. I went outside and pulled the disconnect switch, went back and flipped the breaker, and it held. So I go back outside and reinstall the disconnect switch. I hear a slight humming sound and then a little click. After returning to the basement I see that the breaker has tripped again.

One thing of interest is that all this happened with the A/C turned OFF at the thermostat. If the thermostat was set to A/C the breaker trips even faster and even sparks.

I am a first year electrical engineer student who was recently laid off from work. So needless to say I would really like to try to diagonse this issue myself for financial and knowledge reasons. Thanks in advance for any assistance guys
BraDolMag1
Minimal

- Goodman CPLE24-1C a/c tripping breaker

Postby Freon » Sun May 20, 2012 2:58 pm

PULL the disconnect and check the contactor to see if it's welded closed. If the contactor is fine, get the schematic and see what circuit bypasses the contactor. It may be the compressor heater. Check all wires for any signs of burning or rodent chewing. Check the run capacitor for any signs of deformity in its shape. If you see any, replace it. If all looks good follow theduke03's advice.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Goodman CPLE24-1C a/c tripping breaker

Postby heatseeker » Mon May 21, 2012 9:03 am

Tripping breaker not a good sign, time for pro help, now.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential