Need help on venting out a dumpster room and how much CFM

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Need help on venting out a dumpster room and how much CFM

Postby jamit » Sun May 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi everyone. I have a question I have a room that is 36'x13' and 15' walls the room is for a garbage compactor . On the south wall has a 16"x16" louver on the left and the right side is a 16"x16" SX095RC Penn inline ventilator rated at about max 849 CFM in a 17' duct The issue I have is the smell is real bad and dont seem the smell is being vented out The louver all the way open and the inline fan is set at high. What do I need to do to get the smell out? anything would be helpful like air flow anything would help Thanks
jamit
New Contributor

- Need help on venting out a dumpster room and how much CF

Postby Freon » Wed May 30, 2012 3:21 pm

If the exhaust fan and the replenishing air inflow are both located on the same wall (south), you may not be getting any flow of air across the compactor.You need the exhaust on one side of the compactor and the supply air on the other so air flows across the compactor.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby jamit » Thu May 31, 2012 12:29 am

Thanks for the reply the other issue I have is that the south wall is my only outside wall to outsideand the only wall to have a fan on. The inline fan has a 17' duct that goes to the end of the compactor. Two days ago I closed the fresh air damper all the way and it helped a little.
jamit
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Thu May 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Run a duct from the south wall to the north wall for return air (air into the room). Use large ducting if it's a long way and metal. The more air in, the more stink out. You need flow across the dumpster.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby jamit » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 pm

How much CFM do I need ? because the negitve air needs to be sucked ?
jamit
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Go buy an off-the-shelf kitchen vent fan as big as they make. You will probably run this fan 24/7. That will determine the cfm you will need for the air supply (air into the room). Based on the cfm we can tell you the diameter of the duct you will need to run from the south wall to supply the air to the room. Bigger ducting is always better and necessary if there are too many 90 degree elbows. If you need to make a 90 degree turn, use 2@45 degrees... less friction.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum