Furnance/Blower Issue

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Furnance/Blower Issue

Postby lusty » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:23 am

Hello,

Today I noticed that there is very little air flow coming from my vents in my house (almost none at all). I have a very old furnace (30+ years), yes I know it's old! We plan on replacing it by the fall. I can't live without my AC this summer!

I just checked the blower & blower motor - they both appear to be working. I pulled out the blower unit and it spins and does push air. The motor appears to be working as well. The motor runs 100% of the time at a slow speed, and when the furnace comes on, either for the AC or Heating, the motor spins up. Even when the motor spins up to a higher speed there is no air coming out of the vents. I took off a plastic plug that is in one of the large air ducts coming off the furnace about 2ft away, I could feel a slight breeze inside but it wasn't super strong. I took off a little vent on the side of the furnace and looked inside, It doesn't appear anything is plugged.

Any idea what could be the problem? Could it be the motor going? How do I tell?

Thanks in advance for the help.

L.
lusty
New Contributor

- Furnance/Blower Issue

Postby Freon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:46 pm

If the coil isn't frozen and the filters are all clean then check the ductwork for any problems, most likely with the supply. If all looks good then the blower motor run capacitor may need replacing or the motor is going bad. You might try a different speed tap setting to see if things change for the better. Taking the motor to an electric motor shop is the best way to determine the motor's condition.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Furnance/Blower Issue

Postby heatseeker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 am

replace cap then motor by use of a pro.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Furnance/Blower Issue

Postby how » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:12 am

Dirt plugged air filter? Main or split pulley spinning on shafts? Motor spinning in the right direction? Belt still on? Dirty ac coil?
how
Most Valued Contributor

- Furnance/Blower Issue

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:29 am

30 plus yr old unit- replace now. Bite the bullet, beg, steal, borrow, ask mama, cash out equity.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum