Heat Pump with Auxiliary Heat

Problems related to residential installations.

Heat Pump with Auxiliary Heat

Postby Sparks88 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 am

Hey all, I've recently come across a heat pump with auxiliary heat, I do understand that the heat pump gets used until the outside temperature gets too cold for it to efficiently keep the inside heated, but I just wanted to know how the system knows when to start using the auxiallary heat and to stop using the heat pump? I figured there must be temperature sensors but would they be located in the thermometer or elsewhere? Is there a simple way to check temperature sensors to set them?
Sparks88
Minimal

- Heat Pump with Auxiliary Heat

Postby Freon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Most likely the temperature sensor is on the control board at the condenser unit outside. Get the specific manual for your unit and you'll get all the information you need.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Sparks88 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:17 am

Thank you for your response.
I'm just very curious to how it all works because I'm interested in getting a programmable thermostat. I am farely capable of doing it myself but in the same breathe don't want to mess up the system.

I want to turn the temperature down at night, and put on the auxiliary heat when I turn it back up in the morning. I am a little concerned though about wasting electricity by not using the heat pump solely.
Sparks88
Minimal

Postby Freon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:36 pm

You will need to research programmable thermostats. You will most likely need a more expensive one to allow you to do what you desire. Usually, if the differential between the house temperature and the thermostat set temperature is more than 2 degrees, the thermostat will call for auxiliary heat. A good thermostat will allow you to adjust that 2 degree differential setting. Happy researching.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential