AC leaking from evaporator coil

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

AC leaking from evaporator coil

Postby Gilbey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:42 pm

I have a Carrier Central Air conditioner - 6 years old - and a Lennox gas furnace - 12 years old. The AC evaporator coil appears to be installed over the upflow furnace. About 3 weeks ago I found water on the floor beside the furnace. It appeared to be running down the outside of the furnace from the bottom of the evaporator coil. I called for AC service. The tech opened up the evaporator coil unit but could not find any leak, also we could not duplicate the problem by running the AC. He said it may have been due to the high humidity that day but I had been running it on other humid days with now problem.

Next day, the fan motor was making a whining sound and eventually cut out. The tech who came to look at that replaced the fan motor, said it was in bad shape, clogged with dust/dirt in spite of an electronic filter. He suggested that poor fan operation may have caused ice to build up in the AC and then leak.

Next day, the leak came back, but this time water was in the bottom of the furnace. Again, the tech could not figure out where it was leaking from. He checked all the hoses, checked the pump and the outflow which runs into the laundry tub. I had been collecting water there in a bucket and knew that the hoses, pump etc. were working. After that the AC ran fine, with no leaks for about 10 days. Today it is very hot here so I lowered the thermostat from 76F to 74F to cool the house. About an hour later, the leak started again, this time with water running down the side of the furnace, apparently from the evaporator coil.

I have to call in the tech again. Meanwhile, can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Many thanks.
Gilbey
New Contributor

- AC leaking from evaporator coil

Postby heatseeker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 am

another culprit could be a cracked pan or improperly piped drainline.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- AC leaking from evaporator coil

Postby Gilbey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks to all who answered. You were both correct as to the area in which the problem might lie.

The tech came this morning. He was the third tech to be sent out on this call and the first to actually open open up the unit!
He found debris - bits of cardboard and insulation in the pan, clogging one side of the drain.

Also the coils were touching the wall of the plenum, causing excess condensation. He cleaned the drain and the pan, adjusted the coils and put everything back together, then tested to ensure things were running well.

Hopefully, this has resolved the problem completely.

Thanks again for your advice.
Gilbey
New Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum