Carrier Performance 96 question

Problems related to residential installations.

Carrier Performance 96 question

Postby albertaborn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:03 pm

I recently purchased a Carrier performance 96 furnace this last winter and have a few questions. First off my installer put in a simple 2 pole switch between the G terminal and the R terminal of the thermostat blockl on the chip. What is the purpose of this? Second my house has 2 wires for my thermostats would upgrading to a 3 wire system help me out when it comes to cooling? It would be real easy in my house so no worries about fishing wires etc. Third, in the summer id like to have the fan blow harder when i tell the themostat to keep the fan on with the heat off. It does kick the fan on but its pretty wimpy. I tried adjusting the continuous fan switch on the board itself and get it to blow hard but would like a better way basically to have my furnace fan blow nice cool air in the summer withou having to mess with the CF switches. Thanks.
albertaborn
Minimal

- Carrier Performance 96 question

Postby Freon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:06 pm

"First off my installer put in a simple 2 pole switch between the G terminal and the R terminal of the thermostat blockl on the chip. What is the purpose of this?" Ask The Installer.

Upgrade your wiring to at least 5 wires for a heat pump. One day if you want AC, might as well get a heat pump, depending on your climate.

I do not know the type of motor you have in the furnace so I can't tell you if it's easy to make it give you more air flow. You might want to check the wiring diagram of the blower. Usually the blower speed for heat is different for AC/FAN only. Maybe that's why the tech put the switch in the G/R circuit. If your thermostat does not have a FAN Only switch, the switch the tech gave you may be a substitute. Again, ask your tech.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential