Help!!

Problems related to residential installations.

Help!!

Postby Bell1101 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:00 pm

So, the other day I went to get a shower, and the water was scolding hot! I had to have it turned as far cold as I could get it, for it to be bearable. The next day, the water was normal. Now today, the water is cold! If I have it all the way hot, it is barely warm. I don't know what to do! I am a girl and I don't know MUCH about fixing things, and my landlord isn't home, and I need to shower! On top of the water heater, there are some pipes coming out of it, and on top of one of the pipes, there is a red valve. I haven't touched anything at all lately so I dont know what it could be!
Bell1101
Minimal

- Help!!

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 am

Great idea, call a plumber, pay him and subtract it from your rent. If your landlord is not available and it is an emergency you are within your rights a a renter. But i am not a lawyer.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Help!!

Postby BRair » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Well if you haven't touched anything, don't touch the red valve, either! It's best to leave everything EXACTLY as it is until someone's taken a proper look at it.
BRair
Minimal

- Help!!

Postby juster » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:00 am

It is most likely the shower valve it self. Many showers these days have balancing components within them to prevent people from burning themselves when others use water in the house. These valves have moving parts within them and it is not uncommon that the washers, gaskets or other balancing components fail from time to time. Your landlord should be repairing this for you. Since you can not find him, you can look on the shower valve to try to get the manufactures name off it. However many shower valve companies do not put their name on the valve. If so record the name, take a picture, bring to Home Depot or your local hardware store to see if they can ID which one it is. The new cartridge replacement should come with instructions on how to install.
You will most likely need a screwdriver and maybe pliers.
Good luck
juster
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential