Help with A/C part replacement.

Problems related to residential installations.

Help with A/C part replacement.

Postby SteakandEggs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello all
I'm a noobie here and have zero experience with hvac but I thought I would ask the experts about a part I believe needs replacing. I'v done my research on why my A/C stopped working. Outside fan wont work but will run with a little push with a stick. Its freakin hot in here. Everything I have researched points to a start capacitor. Tried calling our local hvac guy and could reach him (small town KY), I'm kinda good with fixin stuff so I cut the power and opened it up to see if I could see anything obvious and bingo. There is a part connected to to the capacitor with 2 black wires, in between the 2 wires is a small black part (part # cera-mite 305C20) and its got a prong on each side. One side is broke off and kinda burned looking on the end. I can't find a replacement anywhere online, not even sure its a start capacitor or what. I found 1 page under google images but it says its obsolete, what it doesnt say is what to replace it with. I have plenty of pics of that part and the capacitor its self but not sure how to post them.
Thanks for the help in advanced and I appreciate any help I can get
Thanks
Frank

Capacitor CBB65a-1 Dual run 5uF +-5% 370VAC 50/60Hz
SteakandEggs
New Contributor

- Help with A/C part replacement.

Postby SteakandEggs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Here is a pic of the part *.*/buy/VISHAY/305C20
SteakandEggs
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:54 am

"...Outside fan wont work but will run with a little push with a stick"

That is an indication of a dead RUN capacitor. The run capacitor is usually aluminum and either oval or cylindrical, about 3 to 5" tall. There can be 3 wires at the top labeled H, F and C. That capacitor will have a microfarad value on the side, something like 35/5 or 40/7.5. You need to buy an identical replacement as far as the microfarad value goes. The voltage can be equal to or greater than the voltage on your capacitor.

In addition to the run capacitor you may have a start capacitor. And from your description it sounds like you do. Since those start capacitors are only in the circuit briefly, you can get a generic replacement based on the size of your compressor. Post the make and model number and we should be able to help determine the size of the compressor. Any HVAC supply store (Johnstone, McCalls, Grainger) will have what you need.

Make sure you note VERY CAREFULLY the wiring before removing anything. Also be sure ALL power is off to the unit both at the 240 volt disconnect outside and the indoor furnace/air handler.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby SteakandEggs » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm

It turns out it was the the run capacitor. I took photos of it before i dewired it so I would know what went where.
Thanks for the help
SteakandEggs
New Contributor

Return to Residential