tips for energy saving on Air conditioning

Tell us your tips on saving energy and reducing HVAC costs.

- tips for energy saving on Air conditioning

Postby ccraiggnelson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 pm

I just bought a new (old) house and thought I'd learn from you pros! Does everyone agree air conditioning/furnace filters should be changed monthly? Doesn't that sound extreme?
ccraiggnelson
Minimal

Postby westcanadian01 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Have annual schedule of HVAC check up and cleaning to make sure that your home is safe from hazards
westcanadian01
Most Valued Contributor

Postby john_rambo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am

these are all good tips have you all post there thanks for all them i have also some thing to shjare her
Setting the temperature a little higher of around 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit , will you save 6 to 8 percent of your cooling costs for each degree above 78, and most people will be comfortable.
Use a ceiling fan or portable fan to supplement your air conditioning. A fan can make you feel three to four degrees cooler (and only costs a half-cent per hour to operate) so you can set your thermostat a few degrees higher and save on cooling costs. Use in occupied rooms since fans cool people, not rooms.
Turn off the air conditioning or set the thermostat up a few degrees when you leave home.
Be sure your air conditioner is not blocked. A free flowing air conditioner operates most efficiently Be sure the return air grill inside your house is not blocked by furniture or other items. Filters should be checked monthly.
When air conditioning is on, keep doors and windows closed Turn off kitchen or bathroom exhaust fans when your air conditioning is operating.
Caulk and weather-strip leaky windows and doors.
Shade your home from direct sunlight. Use shades, drapes, awnings, trees and shrubs to block the hot sun from heating up your home.
If you suspect your air conditioning system is not cooling properly, have it checked promptly. A unit that is having operational problems can cause extremely high bills.
john_rambo
New Contributor

Postby Mr. fixit » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Wow there are some really good ideas in here, I'm for sure going to try some of them out that I already haven't done. I know this is a HVAC forum but good insulation and making sure everything is sealed up in the house will greatly improve efficiency.
Mr. fixit
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Increase the temperature differential of your thermostat, if possible. The longer the unit runs during a cooling/heating cycle, the more efficient the operation and the less wear and tear on the equipment.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby andyaexa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:04 am

Be a speedy chef,nothing is more energy efficient for cooking than your microwave. It uses two-thirds less energy than your stove.
andyaexa
Minimal

Postby energy_expert » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:02 am

Using the V-Blox CoolPro optimizes the compressor life for the HVAC...that's saving you 15-30% just on cooling costs. Pretty cool.
If you want to learn more about them, look them up on Google! "V-Blox"
energy_expert
New Contributor

Postby aaron234 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:04 am

Everyone is known about globle warming and i think air conditioners are great invention for this era. Your mentioned points for Ac energy saving are really good. I got many good points. I am sure that your post will serve a lot of people. Great work keep it up.
aaron234
New Contributor

Postby rajsidhu » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 am

Having your air conditioning system linked up to a programmable thermostat can certainly save you money on your energy bills as well as saving energy too.

You can use them to turn the a/c system on and off during various times of the day. So for example if the house is empty during the day, you can have the thermostat turn the system off at this time. It can then be programed to turn on say 30 minutes before you usually return home, giving the system enough time to cool your home down in time for when you and your family start to retrun home from work/school etc..
rajsidhu
Minimal

Previous

Return to Energy Conservation Ideas