Inducer motor wont start

Problems related to residential installations.

Inducer motor wont start

Postby Zx6rmike » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I have a Tempstar Smart Comfort model # T9MPV075F1281 with a Honeywell SV9541 and control board # ST9126A-1040

I went to fire up the heat the other day and couldn't get the inducer motor to start leading obviously to no heat.

I looked into it and found that I am not getting any voltage to the motor from the control board (the highest voltage reading I got was 7.41VAC)
I called a tech to come verify (which he did) and said it was what I thought, a faulty control board.

Ordered up a new board and installed it and still have the same issue, no volts to the motor.

All incoming power sources are good.

I also noticed that the Honeywell SmartValve LED light is a solid green (it was prior to the new board also) I know it is supposed to be a heartbeat of Bright--Dim for normal operation but from what I have read (albeit online so nothing is 100% accurate obviously) that a solid light means that the Valve is in Hard Lockout and should be replaced because the internal microprocessor is damaged and not repairable.

Anyone who can give me any more options before I blow more $$$$$ that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Zx6rmike
New Contributor

- Inducer motor wont start

Postby Zx6rmike » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:39 am

Anyone?
Zx6rmike
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:24 pm

First, suspect the inducer motor/assembly. If it's locked or semi-shorted it will draw enough current to give you the low voltage readings.

Simple test of the gas valve involvement... mark the wires and then disconnect them from the valve. Does the inducer run? If not, pull the inducer and inspect the motor.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Zx6rmike » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:47 am

Freon -
> First, suspect the inducer motor/assembly. If it's locked or semi-shorted
> it will draw enough current to give you the low voltage readings.
>
> Simple test of the gas valve involvement... mark the wires and then
> disconnect them from the valve. Does the inducer run? If not, pull the
> inducer and inspect the motor.

Thanks for the response
No it does not run, I get the call for heat from the Therm. but it has no fire to the motor from there obviously leading to no ignition for the burners.

I am getting my readings for voltage straight from the board, would that make any difference? I am only pulling MAX 7.8VAC from the inducer connections straight from there.
Zx6rmike
New Contributor

Postby Zx6rmike » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Well I broke down and had the Tech come out just to confirm the problem.

It seems as though the Honeywell Smart Valve is bad which in turn causes the inducer motor to draw a low voltage leading it not to fire.

I kind of figured that was the problem being that I had the solid light rather than the Pulsing "heartbeat" I was suppose to have.

One of the leads from the inducer motor runs into the SmartValve so it is basically the ultimate failsafe * bad valve * no inducer motor start-up and therefore no chance to self destruct simply put.

Hope this helps someone later down the road
Zx6rmike
New Contributor

Return to Residential