I am stuck with my HVAC and need some advice.

Problems related to residential installations.

I am stuck with my HVAC and need some advice.

Postby BKShaw23 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I apologize if this is a long read however I will try and make it as short as possible. My sister in law decided after listening to someone at Lowes to replace her thermostat on her heat pump. After wiring it up she found that nothing was working. When I arrived at her house I found that the round buss fuse in the air handler was blown and the transformer inside the air handler was buzzing very loudly. After doing some reading I decided to disconnect all the low voltage wires from the A/H and replace the buss fuse. Now with the new fuse and the low voltage disconnected from the air handler the transformer still just hums loudly and nothing else works. Any advice as to what the next thing I should check is? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
BKShaw23
Minimal

- I am stuck with my HVAC and need some advice.

Postby Freon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Transformers often do make noises like buzzing. So don't worry.

I hope when she decided to replace the thermostat, she turned off the power. You may want to ask her.

Your first task is turn off the power. Go to the air handler and make note of the color of each wire, that is now disconnected, at the control board.

Now go to the thermostat and remove the cover. Verify you have the same number and color of wires connected there as at the air handler. That will almost guarantee no one has spliced any new wiring.

Now carefully read the thermostat installation instructions for a heat pump paying close attention to the setup section. Make sure she has it wired correctly.This step is critical.

Now make a list of the wire color and to which terminal on the thermostat it is connected... like Red wire--- R terminal.

Once you have this map, go to the air handler and reconnect the wires following the map you just made.

Turn on the power, say a few chants to whatever deity you like and see if it works.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential