code 13

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

code 13

Postby goyanks8 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:01 pm

A Carrier gas furnace model 58pav111-16 has a code 13 for high limit open. All limits check out fine. Blower runs constant. no matter what I do it doesnt even try to start the heat. Could it be the control board?
goyanks8
Minimal

- code 13

Postby Freon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:52 am

Try turning the power off to the furnace for 20 minutes as a means of resetting the control circuit. Check the thermostat to see the Fan is set to AUTO, not ON. Have someone call for heat at the thermostat while you are at the furnace with paper and pencil. Write down everything you can hear and see as it happens.

Try posting the furnace model number again, maybe in quotes. Sadly important things are getting edited. To be clear, the blower that you refer to that's running constantly is the main blower, not the smaller inducer blower needed for combustion?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- code 13

Postby goyanks8 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Yes, its the main blower. I tried turning the power off to reset the code. it clears and then when it calls for heat it goes write into a code 13 for an open high limit. I ohmed it outall the way to the board and it is fine. The model is "58PAV111" Tstat fan is in auto position. I think it could be the main control board.
goyanks8
Minimal

- code 13

Postby Freon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 pm

According to the model number you have a hot surface ignitor ignition system. You need to watch the start up sequence. It should go something like - Thermostat calls for heat, draft inducer motor runs, draft inducer achieves needed speed to satisfy pressure switch, Hot Surface Ignitor turns on glowing white hot, gas valve opens, burners ignite, 45 seconds later main blower starts.

I think you may have a bad board or at least a stuck-closed main blower relay. But see how far in the ignition sequence your furnace gets. Maybe there's something we've missed. But also locate a place to get the board. Also remove the board and look for fried components or cold solder joints to confirm your suspicions
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum