No Heat - Inducer Motor ? Payne furnace

Problems related to residential installations.

No Heat - Inducer Motor ? Payne furnace

Postby bhclark1234 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:35 pm

My furnace crapped out today. It starts up, calls for heat, but nothing.
Payne PG8UAA
It is giving me code 31.

After sanding the ignitor and thermocouple I realized the blinking was an error code.

I was finally able to spin the inducer motor by hand and it finally started spinning and fired up. Not sure how long that will last.

I'm not sure if I can find a parts store in Cincinnati/Hamilton Ohio that is open tomorrow, on Christmas Eve, but if I can and they have the part, how difficult is the replacement and will the fan come with instructions?
I'm hoping they will sell to the public.

A quick Ebay search came up with a Carrier part number 318984-753 for $105. I'm sure it will be twice that much locally, at least, but would that be the correct part?

The unit is 14 years old...I would replace it if I could afford to. (I know, as inefficient as it is, how can I afford not to...)

It's very cold this week.

Any advice would be appreciated.
bhclark1234
Minimal

- No Heat * Inducer Motor * Payne furnace

Postby Freon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:02 pm

If you find the inducer motor shaft does no spin freely, as is implied by your description, try dripping 3 drops of 3-in1 oil at the base of the shaft and let it run into the motor bearings. If it's difficult to get at, try spraying a little WD 40... anything to help lubricate the bearings.

If you can remove the motor separately from everything else then possibly you can find a replacement motor. To replace the entire inducer, be sure you have the correct part number. A local HVAC supply house may have it or can order it. Also check for local Payne dealer.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential