Is Carrier "59MN7A060" a modulating furnace?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Is Carrier "59MN7A060" a modulating furnace?

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:12 am

I would like to install a Carrier - 59MN7A060V17-14.

The product brochure says ‘Fully Modulating Gas Valve — When paired with the Infinity control, this furnace improves comfort by adjusting heating output in "1%" incrementsfrom "40%" to "100%" capacity to meet the heating needs of the home.’"

'M' in the furnace model number stands for modulating but this 'When paired with the Infinity control' has me 'worried'. Why woudl they need to mention the control? I thought it was a given (i.e. included in the installation of the furnace "59MN7A").

Is the furnace modulating only with this control?

The contractor told me the control would cost extra, the improvement in efficiency would be negligible and the furnace would be still modulating without the Infinity control.

I would like to confirm it.

Thank you
CurbYourEnthusiasm
New Contributor

- Is Carrier "59MN7A060" a modulating *

Postby Freon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:27 pm

It appears the "Infinity Control" is no more than a very special thermostat. It is a separate item since the furnace will function with a normal thermostat.

I would consider carefully this furnace. It sounds great in print but one concern is the many cycles it will have keeping the temperature at the 1 degree differential. On and Off cycles wear out equipment. Since we don't know your winter climate it's hard to give you other ideas.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:27 pm

I would appreciate any other ideas, Freon.
I am on Vancouver Island, BC, where the winters are mild.
CurbYourEnthusiasm
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

A beautiful Island. I spent a wonderful summer there. I would stay with an 80% to 90% efficient furnace and not look at fancy bells and whistles. As a mechanical engineer, I can say many wonderful designs on paper fail miserably in reality until about the 4th revision. Your biggest decision is finding the right company to install and service your furnace. There are many excellent and simple to operate furnaces on the market.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:29 am

I would have to get a high efficiency furnace in order to get a rebate. However, any suggestions?

A contractor told me that me that Carrier was a big name before but not any longer and he could suggest alternatives (waiting for them).

Called Carrier - yes, this is how I spend the day after Christmas -) - and they confirmed that I would need the control to make the furnace ‘modulate’. The 1st CSR could not answer to my question so I was transferred to a senior CSR who in fact read from the product data that I also had.
However, now after talking to Carrier I know for sure the Infinity control is a thermostat. I had thought before it was something you install on the furnace itself not something that replaces the thermostat (programmable or not) that you put it up the wall.
My idea was to just install the furnace without this control and later on add the control as now I know that the ‘M’ in 59MN7A stands for ‘Can Modulate’ -) not ‘Modulate’ but the CSR told me to put it this at the beginning as to make sure everything works ok.

I liked the guy who proposed Carrier and I would have gone with his company, especially after he told me that most of his clients go for this furnace. However, I am sure that they have no idea that their furnace is not really modulating as they do not have the controller. And I wish I was like them. The less you know the happier you are -) .
Now I don’t know to believe about the contractor I was very much inclined to go with.

1. Either he did not know – even if he should – that the 59MN7A… is not modulating without the control so unknowingly he tried to sell me functionality that couldn’t be achieved. I would kind of ‘accept’ it and let it go if this was the case.

2. This was a marketing ploy to buy a more expensive one as in he (i.e. me) would not mind paying $ more than the quoted 2 stage Carrier 59TNA6A for the perceived extra efficiency but I would lose him as a customer if I asked much more money (the controller is around $600 that would be added to the "modulating" furnace). And in this case I would not want to work with them. Tell me frankly all the options and let me choose but don’t play ‘tricks’ on me.
CurbYourEnthusiasm
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:01 pm

I certainly understand your frustration. But put emotions aside and concentrate what they can install and what their warranty is. Stay focused on what matters most... a dependable furnace that delivers adequate heat. Since you're not where the temps dip well below freezing, even an 80% efficient furnace would be fine. Remember, that last 10% to go from 80 to 90% efficient is derived from condensing the water vapor in the flue gasses. So you need a drain system and they can cause problems unless maintained. Again, the simplest furnace will be the most reliable.

Once you find the furnace you feel will be meet your needs, then you need to read the fine print in the installer's (not manufacturer's) warranty. Will they cover parts AND labor if there are problems. Usually a defective part is covered by the manufacturer but the labor to make the repair is on the homeowner. Again, read how well the installer covers your furnace. The better his commitment, the more likely he will do a better job installing your furnace.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum