Need Help Finding Replacement Thermostat

Problems related to residential installations.

Need Help Finding Replacement Thermostat

Postby mateck810 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:16 am

Hello.
I have a Lennox G61 with a Surelight 49M5901 board. The furnace is a two stage heat with variable speed blower. The Lennox 81M2701 thermostat that is not working (display messed up and won't turn furnace off ever). I need a replacement, but it seems that all the thermostats I look at do not have the "D" contact that the 81M2701 has, which I think controls the variable speed blower. I'm not sure how important that all is. I do have A/C with this unit, but no hudmidifier or dehumidifier. I would love one of those cool looking color wifi thermostats, or even the ordinary looking Honeywell wifi one sold at Home Depot, but when I look at the installation instructions for them, they do not have a "D" contact. Even the fancy new Lennox Wi-Fi thermostat says it will only work with a couple of their furnaces, mine not being one of them.

Can someone suggest a thermostat for me? I thought this would be simple! Merry Christmas to everyone.

Matt
mateck810
Minimal

- Need Help Finding Replacement Thermostat

Postby Freon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Look at the Robertshaw 9801i2 Programmable.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby mateck810 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I see where it has the "D" terminal. I also have found that the IAQ Honeywell Prestege series has a contact that you can program to be "humidifier", which I guess is what the H is for, and apparantly what is needed for the variable speed blower communication. It's a lot more money then the Robertshaw, but looks like it has some cool "geek" factors that might entertain me! Thanks.
mateck810
Minimal

Postby Freon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Remember to always turn off all power to the furnace while geeking around. As you know, ICs are very susceptible to minute static (sparks).
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential