Draft Regulator ?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Draft Regulator ?

Postby HCBeav13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:24 pm

I had my oil furnace tuned and cleaned, they found the breech draft to be -14 and the overfire draft to be -8. Do you think I should have a draft regulator installed? Thank you in advance.
HCBeav13
New Contributor

- Draft Regulator *

Postby HCBeav13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 pm

I had my oil furnace tuned and cleaned, they found the breech draft to be Negative Fourteen and the overfire draft to be Negative Eight. Do you think I should have a draft regulator installed? Thank you in advance.
HCBeav13
New Contributor

- Draft Regulator *

Postby HCBeav13 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:55 am

I believe the measurements were done in pascals (pa) and not inches of water column (inwc), not completely sure about this though. So I believe the conversion would be...

Breech Draft would be negative 0.056
Overfire Draft would be negative 0.032

Sorry I am just starting to learn about my oil furnance (first time as a homeowner)

Here are some other measurements from the report sheet if that helps..**** Stack 522, CO2 10.9, O2 6.5, Smoke 0, Efficiency 82.2%, CO Reading 39, Fuel Pump 100 psi, Safety timing 45 sec, and water half in.

Just to give you an idea about the oil furnace it is a York (1988), forced air with Beckett.

Thanks again for all your help. I am pretty sure I need the barometric damper, I am just looking for some other opinions as well.
HCBeav13
New Contributor

- Draft Regulator *

Postby Freon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm

In the furnace installation instructions you will find the overfire draft. Having an 82% combustion efficiency is very good for an oil burner. Unless there's reason to do anything I'd let sleeping dogs lay... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Overfire draft is a concern when too low and the combustion gasses can't vent properly. As long as you're not having odor issues around the furnace I wouldn't worry. More importantly is to know how to clean the heat exchanger. With a smoke of 0 reading you should not have a soot problem but as the months pass the ambient air in the furnace room will change as will the combustion characteristics of the burner.

You might do well to buy a few tools and tune your own furnace. At least get an understanding of the electronic safety system so if you have a problem at 2 AM on a cold February night, you can fix it rather than freeze waiting for a repair person.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Draft Regulator *

Postby rubeshares » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 pm

You might as well consult an experienced tech to tune in your breech and over draft to their standard pressures.
rubeshares
New Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum