hot water registers

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

hot water registers

Postby mechanicalfreek » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:14 pm

hello, i have a hot water furnace that heats my tap water and house,the boiler is set to 160F,, and i replaced my heater covers with heavy duty polypropylene soffit that dont melt, just distorts and gets black at around 200F now i did some research, the furnace water never goes above 160F, the water registers never go above 100F, and the soffit is rated not to distort until a temp above 160-200F. ever since i installed them, the home made soffit covers only get warm,never hot no matter how long the furnace is running, My question is, would this pass for a safe cover with no harmful gaseous emitting to my home untill i can afford store bought ones? thank you..
mechanicalfreek
Minimal

- hot water registers

Postby Freon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Tell us the manufacturer and model of your "heavy duty polypropylene soffit". Without knowing their specifications, no one can answer your question accurately.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- hot water registers

Postby mechanicalfreek » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Freon -
> Tell us the manufacturer and model of your "heavy duty polypropylene
> soffit". Without knowing their specifications, no one can answer your
> question accurately.
all i know is its the thick kind for home owners, not the contractor thin cheap stuff, i have to find the box it came in, i was hoping for some general answers, thank you..
mechanicalfreek
Minimal

- hot water registers

Postby Freon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 am

If the covers are made for how you are using them, then I would say they are fine as far as distortion or discoloration. As to any toxic gasses, I have no idea. If you get the make and model you can Google toxic problems and see if anyone has complained. If there is a UL label that's one more point in you favor.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum