Help with Air Handler estimate

Problems related to residential installations.

Help with Air Handler estimate

Postby tdbiwmw1 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Proposal cost was $$ 4569.00

Does this seem reasonable

Cost to replace York Air handler
220 Volt line 2.5 ton uses 410A
Properly suspend fan/coil unit(s) in attic,

Measure, fabricate & install ductwork to adapt to existing

Install emergency drain pan & line with EZ-Trap & wet switch

Install Plasma air purification

This is ac only system
connected to a York Afinity .
tdbiwmw1
Minimal

- Help with Air Handler estimate

Postby Freon » Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Every city will have different prices. Best way to know if you're getting a good price is get other estimates for the same installation and have them itemize the labor and materials so you know what's going where. You can get prices for the equipment online.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Help with Air Handler estimate

Postby MeloAirInc » Sat May 18, 2013 1:26 pm

You're definitely not being gouged although you can probably find someone to do the work for less. I'd think this bid would be in the middle of the road although I'm unsure how involved the duct mods are. It may be a very inexpensive bid. Prices vary wildly within each market place let alone different geographic locations. Without seeing the job, I am guessing that you could probably get a bid that would be up to $1000 less than the one received. This isn't necessarily a good thing and you shouldn't assume that you won't have to pay these costs at some point due - lower quality of installation i.e. more repairs/callbacks, decreased efficiency (poor duct mods), delay of the cheap guy in responding when you do have a problem, etc. If you like the contractor and are comfortable with them, you should pay them and have them do the work.
MeloAirInc
Minimal

Return to Residential