House remodel - Impact to Air Return/Intake location?

Problems related to residential installations.

House remodel - Impact to Air Return/Intake location?

Postby kaubbs67 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 am

I am planning to remodel my house. The house has 2 HVAC units (split floor plan). One of the HVAC units services the Kitchen, Family Room, and Guest Rooms and the other the Master Bedroom. I have attached couple of links below to the images to help visualize the current floor plan and the remodel. The return air grille is currently located in the hallway connecting the Kitchen to the Guest Rooms. I am planning to remodel the Kitchen (with a Great Room plan in mind), opening it to the Living Room. To enable this, I will have to close the hallway opening from the kitchen to the Guest Rooms. The hallway will be connected to the Kitchen/Great Room via a short L/U shape corridor. My question is, would this impact the return air or would the return air grille/duct location need to be reconfigured. Appreciate all the help/advice.
Best regards.

i1129.photobucketcom/albums/m513/rohpks/k1_zps86585523.jpg
i1129.photobucketcom/albums/m513/rohpks/k2_zps66a5e622.jpg
kaubbs67
Minimal

- House remodel - Impact to Air Return/Intake location?

Postby juster » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:21 am

It may affect the air flow. If you live in a southern area then having the option of an upper return air grill would be helpful and may be all you need. Is your current return air grill at the ceiling or floor level?
If you live in the north or an area that requires heat then having the option of an upper and lower return air grill may be helpful. Can you send the link again?
Return air is very important, you are smart to consider this before work starts.
juster
Most Valued Contributor

- House remodel - Impact to Air Return/Intake location?

Postby Freon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Pay careful attention as to how the guest room air gets back to the hall return. Since the hallway, which had been the path for the air from the guest rooms to the return, is being altered, you need to make a new path for the air flow from the guest rooms to the their old return. Sadly the links do not seem to work.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential