Carrier Infinity Fan Speed Pulses

Problems related to residential installations.

Carrier Infinity Fan Speed Pulses

Postby MaxSupernova » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi folks, thanks for making your expertise available to the web, I've used results from this forum before and it's very valuable.

I have a 2 year old Carrier Infinity furnace, with A/C and electronic air cleaner. We're in a 50 year old bungalow with full basement.

During both heating and cooling cycles (the issue has happened for a while) the fan speeds occasionally get variable. The fan seems to move to high speed for 5 to 10 seconds and then slow down to medium. After another 5 to 10 seconds it moves back up to high speed and then back down to medium. The fan revs up and down like this for 15 minutes at least. It eventually evens out, but then occurs again shortly after. During this process, heat or cooling works fine. The compressor (or burners) aren't turning on and off, just the fan speed cycles up and down.

It doesn't do this all the time. I tried to determine if it only happened when the unit was calling for heat or cooling, but that's not always the case. I thought it might be when the unit is just below temperature and ready to turn on, (or just above temperature and ready to turn off) but that's not always the case. I can't predict when it's going to happen, but it happens a couple of times an hour, and it's quite annoying.

I've cleaned the filters, and even tried running the unit without any filters in for a short time, wondering if it was starved for air, but that had no effect.

We turn the fan to LOW at night because the cycling fan noise is disturbing.

Does anyone have any ideas that I can try as an advanced diy homeowner or is this one for the pros?
MaxSupernova
Minimal

- Carrier Infinity Fan Speed Pulses

Postby Freon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:55 pm

I suggest you consult a Carrier dealer who is very highly regarded. The technical intricacies of your system are beyond the usual HVAC installer.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby MaxSupernova » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Thank you for the consult.

I was pretty sure that this would be the case, but hope springs eternal that there would be a reasonably simple fix...

Thank you for your time, I appreciate your response.
MaxSupernova
Minimal

Postby Freon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:27 pm

I am old school... I love the KISS philosophy... Keep It Simple Stupid. Many of today's modern designs to squeeze every BTU out of fuel, as well intended as they are, sometimes can be not as cost effective as the brochures claim. The reason is the furnace design complexity necessitate using a company who is knowledgeable in the product and you are stuck with their pricing. Without choices, I feel like I am a prisoner. YMMV
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential