Identify Evaporator Coil

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Identify Evaporator Coil

Postby perseus88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:12 pm

I am trying to identify an evaporator coil that is mounted so I can't find the label.

The install information just lists a model TRUF048. Does anyone recognize the brand based on this number?
perseus88
Minimal

- Identify Evaporator Coil

Postby Freon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Check the outdoor condenser unit for data. USUALLY, the indoor evap. coil and outside condenser will be matched... ie a 4 ton condenser will have a 4 ton evap. coil Guessing, I'd say you have a 4 ton coil. However search the condenser manufacturer's web sit with that partial coil number. Hopefully the installer used equipment from only one manufacturer.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby perseus88 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:42 am

The evaporator is a replacement installed many years after the original.

I want the detailed information on the evaporator to see if it can handle a modern coolant. It is now running R-22. I don't know the type of seals if any that are internal to the unit or if it is a continuous coil.

I am planning on replacing the condenser unit but want to keep this evaporator.
perseus88
Minimal

Postby Freon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 pm

I will assume you are not a licensed HVAC person and therefore do not have the EPA license for handling R-22. If that is the case you will need a HVAC company to install your condenser. I would interview 3 companies and ask them if your current evaporator coil can be used. The problem usually is removing all the R-22 oil since the newer R-410 uses a different, incompatible oil. You will want the installer to warranty everything and, sadly, that may include you buying a new coil. My only words of consolation are coils are not expensive.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum