Outlet from Air Handler

Problems related to residential installations.

Outlet from Air Handler

Postby ronaldplaka » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Hello. While I was in NJ for the summer I had a new Rheem AH and CAC installed in my FL home. AH Model # RHLL-HM3821JA.

I also have a Honeywell Aircleaner attached the the return. I noticed the cord for it, which use to plug into an outlet gang box on the AH is not there and the wire is unlpugged?

How can I run a wire from the AH that will give me an outlet that is only powered when the AH is running?

Thanks
ronaldplaka
New Contributor

- Outlet from Air Handler

Postby Freon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:36 pm

You said,"I noticed the cord for it, which use to plug into an outlet gang box on the AH is not there and the wire is unplugged"

What happened to the "gang box on the AH"? Did someone remove it? Can you describe what you mean by gang box? Are you talking about a box that houses 120 volt female AC receptacles?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby ronaldplaka » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:15 pm

The old air handler was removed and replaced with a new one. The metal box, with the female AC receptacle, are no longer there. I know that they were only active when the AH turned on. I could run an outlet there very easily but it would run 24/7.
ronaldplaka
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm

I don't want you to start re engineering your air handler. Did the installation manual for the Honeywell air cleaner show you installation suggestions?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby ronaldplaka » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 am

Yes, just to plug it into the "outlet" located on/or near the AH or hardwire it to the AH. No instruction on how to hard wire it. I would be glad to do it, I am excellent at electrical work.
ronaldplaka
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Do you remember the make/model of the old air handler? With any luck you can find a schematic and see how the AC receptacle was wired to the AH.
You will need a schematic of the new AH to know what possibilities there are for you.

One way you could go is by using a sail switch connected to a relay (24 volt coil) switching the 120 volts AC. Google sail switch to see some examples.
You could wire the R of the AH thru the sail switch to the relay coil and then to the C of the AH. When the sail switch closes with the flow of air through the AH, the coil will energize switching the 120 volts to the air cleaner.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential