sounds like gas valve rattling rather loud

Problems related to residential installations.

sounds like gas valve rattling rather loud

Postby razmazzz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 pm

hi all . new to the forums.just bought house, I have an Armstrong furnace that is supposedly 3 years old but recently at times there is a loud rattling which seems to be coming from the (Honeywell 2 stage?) gas valve. it starts when the flame kicks on and stops when the flame goes off. if I put my ear up to it I can hear it in there or if I squeeze it some the sound then changes. I am wondering if anyone has heard of this , or what this could be? can it be dangerous? it was doing it for a day or so. we had a HVAC guy come out and just before he got here it stopped doing it. then it was ok for maybe a couple weeks, then started again for a day or so.now it is not doing it currently. thanks for any help.
razmazzz
New Contributor

- sounds like gas valve rattling rather loud

Postby Freon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 am

Would you post the model number of both your furnace and gas valve. And would you elaborate how you "squeeze" a gas valve that should be all metal ( "if I put my ear up to it I can hear it in there or if I squeeze it some the sound then changes")?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby razmazzz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:59 am

well the furnace is an Armstrong G2D95CT060V14B-2A , and the gas valve is a Honeywell VR8205N8068. its not really squeezing the valve but there is a plastic on/off dial on it and if I hold it or move it slightly it changes the sound a little. it now has not done it again in the last few days. but it has got warmer also. in the lower 30's. other day it was 25 below zero without the wind chill. one local guy I talked to said its possible that it only happens when its in the higher stage when its really cold. though it seems when it has been really cold at times recently it didn't do it then either. googling around about this , some have said it can be voltage/current issue at the valve , or sticking solenoid/coil? ,diaphragm, or even low gas pressure. but someone said it could get stuck open and push excess gas out and then try to light. thanks again for help.
razmazzz
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Since you have isolated the noise to the valve and the noise seems to vary depending on outdoor temperature we can speculate as to what's happening. Most importantly, your furnace is keeping you warm, if I read your post correctly.

There is a solenoid (s) which is a simple electromagnet that operates the valve allowing the gas to flow at the desired rate. Having never taken this valve apart I am speculating. When the furnace calls for the 2nd stage heat (max heat) the gas valve solenoid(s) should allow for maximum gas flow to the furnace. If there are 2 solenoids, one for low flow rate and a second to allow for maximum flow rate, it's possible the second solenoid is either not opening completely.

I would monitor the situation and possible find another similar gas valve. My search seems to find Honeywell no longer makes this valve however through a dealer (or eBay) you may be able to find one if and when you need it.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby razmazzz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:54 pm

thanks for your reply. I had forgotten about it last week or so since it had stopped doing it. now just tonight it started again. I suppose I need to get it replaced , though I just had some expensive tooth work done so i'm hoping I can hold out a bit. my question is - is it dangerous this way? also to note , it is not that cold really tonight. it is dropping now into the lower 20.s. it has been in the 30's last few days. but my wife said that she turned the heat up to 67 for a while today(we usually keep it at 65), then she heard it. and when I came home I turned it up to 67 a while and start to hear it now. thanks
razmazzz
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Until you know exactly what is happening within the gas valve it's hard to say if it's dangerous. Gas valves are self-contained so there should be no smell of gas at any time. If the noise is from the solenoid it's also contained within the gas valve. I would periodically check the furnace when you hear the noise or if the noise changes its characteristics. I would look online for a direct replacement in case the solenoid fails completely before the end of heating season. Check several places as some online HVAC stores are very expensive. Amazon is a good price reference although maybe not the least expensive..
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby razmazzz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:21 pm

it was doing it again the other day , even when not that cold. so I went to adjust temp to test it and noticed the backlight on the thermostat would not come on. and message flashing on it say "replace batteries". so after I replaced the batteries in the thermostat , it hasn't done it since ,knock on wood . even when we adjust the heat up or down , or even when its really cold.
razmazzz
New Contributor

Return to Residential