Dual Fuel Trane xl400

Problems related to residential installations.

Dual Fuel Trane xl400

Postby calicojake » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:25 am

This morning I tapped the function key on my thermostat to read the outside temp. and it displayed the - ' - -' instead of the outside temp. and it also - 'service' & 'outdoor'....Also, the gas furnace did not come on but the heat pump did come on 'Stage 1' ...which is heat pump only and not the gas furnace. The temp. outside was 9 degrees so the gas furnace should have been on and not the heat pump. What do you think the problem is? Should I switch over to Em. heat mode to operate the gas furnace or keep it on Stage 1 which is the outside heat pump which is not keeping the inside temp. up to 70 deg.

Regards,
jake
calicojake
New Contributor

- Dual Fuel Trane xl400

Postby Freon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Definitely use the emergency heating (gas furnace). The heat pump below about 30 degrees is useless.

I am not sure why you're getting the display on your thermostat. Check the installation instructions. Check if there's a "Service interval" reminder setting in the thermostat that you can skip for now. But do get the gas furnace going.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Dual Fuel Trane xl400

Postby calicojake » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 pm

I called my heating & Air guy this morning and he told me it sounded like a frozen outside temp. control....the one that controls the gas furnace coming on below 35 deg. and the heat pump coming on at 45 deg. to support the dual fuel capabilities. After the outside weather temperatures got above freezing, everything went back to normal as far as gas/heat pump operation along with an outside 'temp' reading on my inside trane thermostat. So.....I guess living in S.C., the trane system was not used to such low, low outside temperatures that we experienced last week. It broke a record down here at 5 deg.....burrrrr.......

Regards,
jake
calicojake
New Contributor

- Dual Fuel Trane xl400

Postby Freon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Trane makes fine equipment. And a "frozen outdoor heating control" needs further definition.

You have a temperature sensor outside and that tells the system when to stop the condenser and use the indoor furnace. That outdoor sensor can be wired through the thermostat or is set at the control board in the condenser. I would try and find out exactly how your temperature sensors are set for operation.

It may also be possible the defrost cycle for the condenser was not run long enough to stop the condenser from turning into a block of ice. With very low outdoor temps, this can happen too. Fortunately such cold is the exception and you can pull the disconnect on the condenser and run only the furnace if necessary.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Dual Fuel Trane xl400

Postby calicojake » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

If I change the 'mode' on my inside Trane thermostat from "AUTO" to "EMHEAT" allow me to use the gas furnace only?
calicojake
New Contributor

- Dual Fuel Trane xl400

Postby Freon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Yes it should, depending on how you have your system setup in the thermostat installation program.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential