Converting a furnace from LP to Natural gas

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Converting a furnace from LP to Natural gas

Postby retro931 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Hello.
I really need help on this one. The furnace that I have is a Lennox Pulse Model GSR1 4Q4/5-100-2 that I want to convert from LP to natural gas. Apparently the unit used natural gas when shipped, and then was converted in the field.

I nearly froze to death last winter because the heat pump won't supply enough heat and I can't afford the cost of LP.

Again, I REALLY need help!

Thanks!
retro931
Minimal

- Converting a furnace from LP to Natural gas

Postby Freon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:17 pm

First question
should be why did they convert from natural gas to propane?
You will need a conversion kit that should have a different cap and spring for the gas valve and also different orifices for the burners. Because there are pressure differences between the 2 fuels you will need to know the exact pressure for natural gas.Check the Lennox installation manual for the correct pressure Given it's a gas, I would be very careful about doing this conversion myself. It's slow summer time so get some quotes from a professional, hopefully a Lennox dealer. Google "converting gas valve" for a YouTube video that can be helpful.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby retro931 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:08 pm

We want to convert from LP to Natural gas because we can't afford propane @ $3.50/gallon. The main heat for this house is supposed to be from a heat pump. Even though the unit is brand new, the highest temp we were able to achieve last winter was @ 60F. Combine the propane cost with the electric bill {winter @ $575/month}and you can see why I want natural gas. I do know that when we have propane, the house is actually warm. To stay warm last winter we had to put our bed in the smallest room in the house, close the door off with plastic and use an electric oil heater.

The gas company just laid a new feeder line approximately 300' feet from my house I can tie into.
retro931
Minimal

Postby jbray1989 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Depending on what part of the country you live in, a heat pump should have been able to achieve a higher heating set point. So either the tonnage is wrong, or you have a problem with the unit itself, or possibly the ductwork.
jbray1989
Minimal

Return to HVAC General Forum