Carrier Gas Furnace Not Enough Heat

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Carrier Gas Furnace Not Enough Heat

Postby ck4now » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi;

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace(Model 58MSA060-08) that does not produce enough heat. I cleaned the filter and even replaced with a new one. Its still not produced enough heat.

Sometimes, its attempt to ignite the flames several times before its successfully runs. If I set the temperature high between 20C-25C, then the flame lit-up right away, but if I set temperature below 17C then the flame will not lit-up right away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
ck4now
Minimal

- Carrier Gas Furnace Not Enough Heat

Postby nomadpeo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 pm

is your thermostat digital or mechanical ?
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby ck4now » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:40 am

I have mechanical thermostat.
ck4now
Minimal

Postby nomadpeo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:07 am

your heat anticipator could be set wrong.

a mechanical thermostat has a variable resistor that heats up during the heat cycle. it is called a 'heat anticipator'. as its name suggests, it anticipates the fact that the blower will continue to blow out warm air after the heat signal goes away, so the resistor generates a false heat at the thermostat sensor location to cause it to cycle off early. this induces a regulation to prevent overshooting. if it generates too much heat, it could cause the thermostat to cycle off fairly quickly. it is a variable resistor and can be adjusted. you will need to know the amp draw of the heat signal circuit (the wire connected to 'w' - it can be measured at the furnace location with a ac amp meter). the resistor is visible on the face of the thermostat (behind the cover). it must be adjusted to the amp draw of the 'w' circuit.

modern digital thermostats do not have this adjustment.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum